Brown Box acknowledges its failure to reach the 50% threshold of BIPOC artists working on our projects. Over the next 5 years, we are committed to:
- Increasing the casting of BIPOC performers in our contemporary productions with the goal of exceeding our historical casting percentages of BIPOC artists each year in our contemporary productions until our casts accurately reflect the standing excellence of BIPOC actors.
- Increasing the casting of BIPOC artists in our Shakespeare productions with the goal of exceeding our historical casting percentages of BIPOC artists each year in our Shakespeare productions until our casts accurately reflect the standing excellence of BIPOC actors. In addition to this, we guarantee said increase is not achieved solely through the casting of BIPOC actors in supporting roles.
- Holding ourselves accountable through data and self analysis. Brown Box has compiled Demographic Data on our casting since our founding in 2011. This data can be found HERE. This data will be updated annually to quantitatively demonstrate our progress.
For Season Selection:
- Producing seasons that have no less than one play by a BIPOC playwright
- Building relationships with BIPOC designers and technicians in order to increase representation of BIPOC on our creative teams
- In 2021, Brown Box will be mounting the productions previously scheduled in 2020 in hopes of honoring the contracts with our artists from the season postponed due to covid-19. While most positions are filled, we will strive to hire any open positions with BIPOC designers/technicians.
- We commit to hold interviews with available artists to hire for an additional 2021 project.
- This project will be a project written, directed, performed, and designed by BIPOC artists. We hope to use a model of work that has been successful in the past to share new voices, meet new artists, and build working relationships with many new artists with whom we have not previously worked.
- We will interview artists who may not be available for our 2021 season in hopes of building a relationship with them for future productions.
Our action to fulfill these commitments are further outlined within “Section 2: Working Conditions and Hiring Practices.” These will be released in the coming weeks.